Tuesday 9 June 2009

Why you should work for yourself #3

…more reasons on why you should work for yourself (or I should for myself), in addition to the 2 main ones mentioned in earlier posts. Again, I’m taking what I’ve read and heard from experts and presenting them with my own experiences.

3. No dull moments:
You don’t get bored like when someone gives you a task you hate doing, but have to do because it’s a (grey) part of your job description. Or, you don’t believe in a particular mission that your employer is on, but you do it because you are supposed to be a team player. You act professional but your heart is not in it. You go out and buy yourself new shoes/phone/holidays to cheer yourself up.

What you put into your own business in self-employment is all yours. You set the mission, define the goal, and then go all out to reach it.

4. You’ll regret it if you don't try:
My dad was employed full-time for his working life (he’s retired now) but always said he’s love to have his own business. But he never did. He worked for the government right up to his retirement. It’s one of the things he regrets because he was too risk-adverse, unwilling to give up his secure job. He could also have done something after retirement, but I suspect the longer you delay taking that step, the harder it is. I learnt about a great charity recently which helps people over 50 start up their own businesses. They are called Prime. Contact them.
http://www.primeinitiative.co.uk/ And you can be any age to appreciate the resources they have online.

5. Travelling without moving:
The best way of truly knowing your capabilities is to take up this challenge. I have no experience as yet but am taking the first steps now. So far it’s been very enlightening. I’ll share with you that I

a) Need to work on my marketing skills. I failed miserably at a volunteer job interview for a marketing position with a charity a month ago. They don’t want me even when I’m not asking to be paid!

b) Have to hone my writing skills if I want to present ideas and review subjects convincingly. I’m so used to designing with software and communicating in a graphic medium, I’ve neglected to nurture my writing skills.

c) My profession/industry is not a good market to be in according to experts. I’ll explain this in a further post.

d) have learnt so much about the influence of the net and what a business mindset is.

e) I DO have business skills. I am very keen using them.

There are other reasons of course, but these are what I find most valid to me. I might add more if I get aggravated at work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment