Monday 17 January 2011

Happy New Year! Self Employment Ideas for 2011

So it is the the new year - still no self -employment ideas yet? Well, don't beat yourself up about it. You are in good company.

Although new year resolutions do not normally start with excuses, my first task is to let you know that you shouldn't feel beaten. Not everyone can be a serial entrepreneur with hundereds of self-employment and money-making ideas in their heads.

I come from a family that has been working in the public service for 3 generations. Trust me, risk-taking is not something I learnt about growing up. After university, I got a professional job and very few in my circle of friends and professional contacts are self-empolyed. Plus, my industry, architecture (some might say it is really easy to set up on own's own and call oneself self-employed), is not like that in reality.

It depends a lot on the industry you are in, and the connections you are able to make through work. So, here comes my point - instead of killing yourself to come up with self-employment ideas on your own, go out and start talking to people and making some connections.

Use whatever you can - Facebook, LinkedIn, Meetup,... go out there and start talking to people. There are many entrepreneur clubs out there so get mingling. You never know if you are just the right person someone out there is looking for to take an idea and make it it a real self-employment idea.

Being the usual cynic, I will have to caution you to be wary of the time-wasters and less than genuine 'friends' you might meet in such places. Just keep in mind that you don't forget about being careful with your life savings because you are desperate to find a self-employment idea to get you out of your current job or circumstance.

Keep you eyes peeled for oppoortunities. read the newspapers, drive around your local retail parks, office blocks, tourist spots etc and observe what might be missing that you could provide.

As for me personally, (some of you might know that I am currently employed because I was offered a fixed-term contract job) I will be finishing up at my current employment in 2 months and then will be concentrating on looking for a business idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment