Monday 14 December 2009

Timeframe for Self Employment Ideas

Coming up with the right self-employment idea is one thing, what about how long it takes? I have been on the hunt for a self-employment idea and researching business and self-employment since April 2009. With 2009 drawing to an end, I look back at the process I went through.

My first self-employment idea was to become a sustainability consultant. Then I had the idea of opening a cupcake cafe. After that I was lost for ideas for 2 months. Then I returned to considering setting up as a self-employed architect. I abandoned this too and started thinking about starting a social enterprise for artists. At present, my self-employment idea is starting a social enterprise targeted at unemployed architects.

I went to a business startup show and caught part of a seminar given by 2007 Apprentice winner Michelle Dewberry. She also went through a phase of thinking about her self-employment (business) idea. She is still in the early stages of her new venture, which meant her ideas search lasted for about a year.

It is a shame I didn't start thinking about self-employment earlier. But then I found it hard to focus on anything outside work when I had an all-consuming full time job. Hopefully I will look back years from now and see the whole process of finding the right self-employment idea was a necessary and enriching experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment