Friday 23 July 2010

Self employment ideas still on the agenda after 6 months!

Some of you might have noticed I haven't posted anything on my self employment ideas search for 6 months. That's because I got a job! Before you crucify me for going back to full time employment, please let me explain.

I wasn't coming up with good self-employment ideas that suited my risk-averse nature. I did set up my social enterprise, which has managed to win an award and some start-up funding from the Millennium Trust Fund. For about 3 months the organisation, Big Picture Project, did some good work helping non-profit organisations access architectural services which they would otherwise not been able to afford. Trouble is, I was having a hard time keeping my finances healthy!

Then I was headhunted and started work at a job that paid a good wage. For a month or two it was okay, then I started to miss the times when I was self-employed and had control of what I did and could strategise and plan my work. It was so much more exciting being self employed!

The idea now is to save a bit of money and try another route to self-employment - retraining. I have been visiting business school in London to look into what they can offer me. I have met others attending b-school information sessions who are doing exactly this, trying to turn their self-employment idea into reality by taking a year-long MBA in entrepreneurship first.

I haven't have given up becoming self-employment. It's just that I'm changing my strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment